Live Inspired! by Marisa Vallbona

Thursday, June 17, 2021

First Rule of Skin Cancer: The Sun is Not Your Friend!


I love the sun, but the sun doesn’t love me. I knew something was wrong when two spots on my face and one on my chest kept itching and hurting. My dermatologist confirmed it: I was dancing with skin cancer and they had to be removed. I didn’t want my face to be cut and scarred, so I put it off. Bad idea. 3 years later, those 2 spots turned into 8, but by then, my amazing dermatologist @drdouglaswu @cosmeticlaserdermatology told me about a workaround that wouldn’t cut my face. 


Photodynamic Therapy (PDT). It’s expensive, painful, and insurance doesn’t cover it. PDT is a 2-stage treatment combining light energy with a photosensitizer drug that destroys cancerous and precancerous cells after light activation from a laser that makes them toxic to the targeted tissue. 


The laser felt like I was being stung by a bee, but I knew it had to be done. It took 6 hours. Afterward, I looked sunburned and had to wear sunscreen and completely cover up and stay away from the sun for 24 hours. I was quite the sight when I left the doctor’s office!


What I learned:


👉 Always wear sunscreen, rain or shine, whether I’m staying inside or out. Sun exposure gets through windows.


👉 It was a bad idea to put off treatment just because of the expense. PDT was worth every penny to save my skin and health!


👉 PDT is not covered by insurance. Insurance prefers to pay for the less expensive method.


👉 Recovery is fast and leaves no scarring.


👉 My face, neck and chest look better than ever now.


👉 Thankfully, all signs of skin cancer are gone!


Are you taking care of your skin?


Photos:

  1. Bottom left: Last sunny hoorah the day before my treatment.
  2. Top left: Yikes! 8 lesions the doctor found and outlined to laser of my face, neck and chest!
  3. Top right: My Unabomber look to cover & protect my skin for the drive home.
  4. Middle right: 12 hours later… still spotty. Just give it time, said my doctor.
  5. Bottom right: My skin by day #18 wearing only sunscreen, eye makeup & lipstick.






#skincare #sunscreen #dermatology #healthyskin #sunprotection #protectyourskin #skincaretips #beach #sunblock #marisavallbona #liveinspired #cimincpr #glowingskin #sunsafety #skincancer #skincancerprevention #healthy #antiagingskincare #selfcare #sundamage #flawlessskin #wrinkles #wellness #sunscreeneveryday #takecareofyourskin #cancerprevention #beautytips #skincarehacks #sunscreem #skincarecommunity #skincancer #photodynamictherapy #pdt #cosmeticlaserdermatology #drdouglaswu 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dash Challenge 2022

The Dash  Challenge 2022 What are you doing in The Dash? 🙌 It’s new year’s and a perfect time to think about this. You know the dash betwee...